Friday, December 5, 2008

Discover This: Timing is Everything

And the latest Discover More mailer has very poor timing. Arriving in my mailbox yesterday, the copy trumpeted rewards available from leading retailers in their online mall. And at the top of the list:
Circuitcity.com.

On November 10, Circuit City filed for bankruptcy. A week earlier, the company announced they were closing more than 20% of their stores. On October 20, they said they were considering closing stores to avoid Chapter 11. More than six weeks before I received your letter.

Yes, direct mail has long lead times. Yes, the piece was sent standard mail, and took its time in transit. So Discover, you have poor timing. Yes, circuitcity.com is still selling products. But you lost me. Probably like so many others, I will not see your mall as really representing my top online shopping options.

Timing is everything.

No comments: